Friday, November 21, 2008

...Seriously??

In the Kansas City Star There was an article about the KC Mayor (Mark Funkhouser), who says that he can't work without his wife. Indeed, his wife shows up in his office during his work hours to give him advice and help him schedule appointments among other things. The city council has said that no longer can "elected officials" have relatives volunteer for them regularly. Some people might have succumbed after this decision was made, but Funkhouser is filing a lawsuit.

One person referenced in the article said that he found the whole situation a little weird. Later on in the article, a contrasting view was shown:

"'It's a classic love story,' says Garry Cushinberry, a bank vice president who sat at the mayor's table at an awards dinner Nov. 14. 'He's risking his political career for the woman he loves. You have to respect that.'"

Even me, being the sucker for a good romance story that I am, definitely do not find this story touching in the least. I tend to side with the first opinion shown, and also the city council. It's nice to love your wife, but... seriously? Do you have to be with her 24/7? At work? And not only that, but to insist that you can only do your best if your wife is present? It just seems to me that though it may be desirable to be with your spouse, being separated from him/her sometimes is something you just do, becuase that's the way it works. Heck, I got used to leaving my mom to go to kindergarten... But hey, maybe I was just mature for my age.

No comments: