Friday, October 3, 2008

Is the Media Truly Objective?

As a pre-communications major hoping to go into journalism, I have been firm with the belief that journalism is strictly objective. After all, that is how I have learned to write in all of my classes for journalism here at BYU, so isn't that how all journalists write?

Unfortunately, lately my "firm belief" has gotten somewhat shaky. With the upcoming election only five weeks away, I have been paying more attention to politics than I ever have in my life. Part of the reason for this is that this will be my first year to vote. Rather than watching the debates, however, I have taken to reading the paper to find out how the debates went.

I'll be the first to admit that when it comes to politics, I am poorly informed. Thus, when reading the paper, everything journalist write about the candidates is relatively new to me.

When I was reading the articles this morning about the vice president debate, I don't know if I can say that what I read was biased, but it did shape my opinions about the Palin and Biden. Articles in the paper have helped shape my opinions about the candidates from president, as well. From what I have read, the newspaper is saying that Obama seems to be handling the financial crisis better than McCain, and also that Biden has a better grasp on the issues than Palin.

I already know where I stand party-wise, but regardless, what the media is telling us is becoming my "knowledge" about these candidates. But who really knows if this is factual, or just the opinions of journalists? It is hard to say what is opinion and what is not, when I am receiving information about the candidates through other sources rather than directly observing it myself.

No comments: